Before I use it, I’m wondering if my free teeth whitening gel will work on the spots left from braces. I received the gel from a friend who got a bunch of gel tubes from her dentist. I wore braces for 2 years because I had severe overjet. Even though I tried hard to keep my teeth clean while I wore the braces, after my orthodontist took the braces off , I had noticeable white spots on my teeth. She explained decalcification to me. I talked to my dentist about the white spots, so she did an in-office bleaching treatment. I had three sessions in the first appointment and it made my teeth super white, but the white spots from the braces were more noticeable. We waited a month and my dentist did a second treatment and the results didn’t change. Her response is that we need to give it more time. That’s why I want to try the new gel I received to see if I get better results. Is it okay to give it a try? Thanks. Kelli
Kelli – The problem you are experiencing isn’t unique to any particular brand of bleaching gel. It can occur with any type of teeth whitening gel—including the free teeth whitening gel you received.
Why Decalcification Occurs
As your orthodontist probably explained to you, decalcification occurs because of lack of minerals in the teeth. People who wear braces are especially prone to having decalcification on their teeth. A buildup of plaque around the brackets can rob the teeth of minerals, and the issue displays itself as white spots on your teeth. Some patients benefit from prescription fluoride toothpaste and an electric toothbrush.
Is Teeth Whitening Gel Effective on Decalcification?
Consider the facts:
- Teeth whitening products in general make white spots from decalcification more noticeable.
- The white spots should not be left on your teeth, because decalcification can lead to tooth decay.
- It might be beneficial to have your teeth remineralized.
- Don’t try to resolve the issue yourself.
- We suggest that you get a second opinion from an experienced cosmetic dentist who has extensive training in teeth whitening and tooth restoration. He or she knows what tools, techniques, or materials are needed to get the best results for your teeth.
- Dental bonding or a combination of techniques may be needed to even the color of your smile.
Schedule consultations with at least two cosmetic dentists to examine your teeth and explain your options.
This post is sponsored by Plano, TX female cosmetic dentist Dr. Miranda Lacy.